Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Top Ten Tuesday: Vacation Reads

This week, our prompt from That Artsy Reader Girl is "Books I Read On Vacation," and we get bonus points if we include where we were when we read them.


We went on several small vacations and trips this year, and I read a LOT of books while on them.  Here are the ten I liked best!


At a rented cabin in the Shenandoah Valley in February

Borden Chantry by Louis L'Amour (PG) -- western, mystery, lone hero

Son of a Wanted Man by Louis L'Amour (PG) -- western, found family

Stoneheart Hunt by Abby D. Jones, with Martin Brodde (PG-16) -- fantasy/sci-fi, fairy tale retelling, revenge, found family

(All pictures are my own from my bookstagram account)


On the way to and from Florida in March

Dear Irene, by Jan Burke (R) -- mystery

Dragons at Crumbling Castle by Terry Pratchett (PG) -- audio book, short stories, middle-grade fiction, fantasy, humorous


At the beach in June

The Count of Monte Cristo (Manga Classics) by Alexandre Dumas, Crystal S. Chan, and Nokman Poon (PG) -- classic, revenge, manga



On a trip to and from Ohio in July

Hamlet (Manga Classics) by William Shakespeare, Crystal S. Chan, and Julien Choy (PG-13) -- classic, play, full text, revenge, manga

The Light of Western Stars by Zane Grey (PG) -- western, secret marriage romance, strong female character



Visiting my hometown in North Carolina in August

The Cherokee Trail by Louis L'Amour (PG) -- western, strong female character, found family

Great Expectations (Manga Classics) by Charles Dickens, Crystal S. Chan, and Nokman Poon (PG) -- classic, manga, coming of age


I hadn't realized that I read so much Louis L'Amour and so many Manga Classics on vacations this year!  And so many books involving revenges.  Hmm.   I guess I could have figured out the Manga Classics, as I deliberately took those along on trips because I could hand them off to my kids once I'd finished them, and then they would have something new to read besides the books they'd brought themselves.  But I guess I get drawn to L'Amour when I'm traveling.  Huh.

14 comments:

  1. Wow, you’ve read a lot of great books on vacation.

    I loved Great Expectations. I haven’t read The Count of Monte Crisco yet, but I’ve heard it’s good.

    My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-types-of-books-i-read-on-vacation/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lydia, yes, it's been a great reading year!

      The actual Count of Monte Cristo is one of my top 3 favorite novels of all time. Absolutely fantastic. The Manga version is awesome too!

      Thanks for stopping by :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh, I love the Manga Classics adaptations! The Macbeth one is excellent. Count of Monte Cristo is on my list to read soon, maybe I'll pair the classic novel with the adaptation! Great list :)
    Here's mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer for Joy, so cool to meet another Manga Classics fan!!! My kids and I just discovered them this year, and we have read seven of them so far. But haven't gotten Macbeth yet -- I will try to get that one soon! I hear they might be putting out The Phantom of the Opera next, which I am so excited for.

      This version of The Count of Monte Cristo is magnificent. The classic book is one of my absolute favorite novels -- I just reread it pretty recently, and it still wows me. I think the manga adaptation is fabulous too. They would be so cool to read together!

      Delete
  3. You have read a lot of classics, but good ones while on vacation - good for you! Love the photos you've shared as well.

    Have a wonderful Tuesday!


    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elza, it's true! Lots of good manga versions of classics. I'm glad you like my photos :-)

      Delete
  4. I've read a lot of L'Amour this year too--some new, some rereads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, these have all been new reads for me, and I've found some new favorites!

      Delete
  5. oh my goodness, you are my vacation hero! great list

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading in a nice, cozy cabin is the best! Sounds like a perfect vacation to me.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, it IS!!! Just the perfect refreshing, relaxing vacation.

      Delete
  7. My uncle used to read Louis L'Amour books. Not sure if he still does, but because of that, they gave us, through the years, their VHS tape adaptation of some of his novels. I've never read any books by the author though did enjoy some of the films. :) Thanks so much for visiting my website, Rachel, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rissi, I've seen a handful of the movies based on L'Amour's books -- he had such a way with memorable characters and sweeping stories!

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)