Sunday, August 14, 2022

"What Katy Did Next" by Susan Coolidge

The third Katy book just might be my favorite.  Seeing Katy being as kind and intelligent and capable as ever, but now more mature and less prone to get into scrapes -- that was absolutely a delight.

Now about twenty, Katy Carr helps out a family friend by taking care if her daughter for several weeks.  The daughter becomes very fond of Katy, so when the mother decides to go to Europe for a year, she asks Katy to come along.  Not as a nanny for the daughter, but only as a friend.

Katy has a series of small adventures in London, Paris, Rome, and Venice.  She meets up with her vain and haughty cousin a few too many times, falls in love without realizing it, and helps comfort and nurse her friend's daughter through a long illness.  It's a charming and gentle journey for readers, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  If you're looking for a vicarious vacation in Europe, this one has my vote!

Particularly Good Bits:

...each day as it dawns upon us is like an unread story, full of possible interest and adventure, to be made ours as soon as we have cut the pages and begun to read (p. 13).

It was quite unlike a Christmas Eve at home, but altogether delightful; and as Katy sat next morning on the sand, after the service in the English church, to finish her home letter, and felt the sun warm on her cheek, and the perfumed air blow past as softly as in June, she had to remind herself that Christmas is not necessarily synonymous with snow and winter, but means the great central heat and warmth, the advent of Him who came to lighten the whole earth (p. 116).

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: G.  Sweet and wholesome and good!


This has been my 48th book read for my third Classics Club list and my 39th from my TBR shelves for #TheUnreadShelfClub2022.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I didn’t know this was a series. I read and enjoy What Katy Did as a kid but thought that was the end of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lydia, yup! There are three books about Katy, and three others about the rest of the family, though I haven't read them yet. I believe those are Curly Locks, Clover, and In the High Valley.

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)