Friday, April 9, 2021

"Swallows and Amazons" by Arthur Ransome

What a perfectly marvelous book!  I absolutely loved this story and these characters, and I can't wait to read the next book in the series.  Read it aloud to my kids, I mean, which is what I did with this one.

Four siblings (John, Susan, Titty, and Roger) visit the Lake District in Great Britain with their mother and baby sister while their father is busy working.  Because this is the early twentieth century, they get permission to sail out to an island and camp there for several weeks, and have many adventures, both on the island and on their boat, the Swallow.  They make friends with two sisters who sail their own boat and call themselves the Amazons, and after having a merry war, they make peace and continue having adventures together.  Believable, jolly, sometimes exciting adventures that I just loved.

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: G.  Clean, wholesome, and sweet.

This is my 18th book read and reviewed for my 3rd Classics Club list, and my 15th read off my TBR shelves for #TheUnreadShelfProject2021.

4 comments:

  1. So excited that you're reading these! I still haven't made it through all 12, but I very much loved the ones I did read. So much scope for imagination. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi, I think I would have gobbled them up as a kid. Wish my library back then had had them. They are marvelous.

      Delete
  2. This is my favourite children's book, although perhaps it's a tie with Finn Family Moomintroll. I'm so glad that you liked it! I'm on book 5. I can't wait to hear what you think of the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleo, it is well deserving of being a favorite! Wonderful stuff.

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)