Saturday, May 16, 2020

"Miss Kopp Just Won't Quit" by Amy Stewart

This was such a fun, fast read!  I am happy to report that I liked it MUCH better than book three in this series, Miss Kopp's Midnight Confessions.  Largely because this was once again written in first person in Constance Kopp's voice, which is so delightful.

Like the previous three books, this book is based on the actual lives and adventures of Constance, Norma, and Fleurette Kopp in New Jersey just prior to World War One.  Constance's job as female deputy at the Hackensack jail has always been a bit tenuous and open to a lot of scrutiny and scorn, but now Sheriff Heath's term as sheriff is up and there's a big election coming to see who will replace him.  

Meanwhile, Constance is working behind the scenes on her own time to try to get a woman freed from a mental institution where her husband placed her under dubious circumstances.  

Also meanwhile, Norma Kopp is trying to convince the US Army that they need to use her new designs for a homing pigeon transport to support soldiers in the war she feels America will inevitably enter.

And while all that is going on, Fleurette continues to use her sewing skills to earn money, as well as putting on several musical acts with friends to entertain prisoners at the jail at one point, and future soldiers at another.

I'm so glad this book returned to the fun, engaging form set by the first two books.  I don't think I liked it quite as well as book two, Lady Cop Makes Trouble, but I might have liked it just as much as book one, Girl Waits with Gun.  Book five is sitting on my TBR shelves, and I'm now very much looking forward to reading it!

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It:  PG-13 for discussions of things people did that landed them in jail, a subplot involving a man who takes mistresses, generalized descriptions of treatments at a mental hospital, and several scenes of danger or peril.  No bad language or lascivious scenes.

This is my 17th book read for #TheUnreadShelfProject2020 -- almost halfway to my goal of 36!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)