Wednesday, November 13, 2019

"Freedom Train: The Story of Harriet Tubman" by Dorothy Sterling

I got a copy of this from a yard sale when I was a kid, and I read it and read it and read it and read it.  Harriet Tubman was a big hero for me -- I bonded to her stubbornness, I think.

Anyway, I went to see Harriet (2019) this weekend (my review here), and it made me want to re-read this book so that I could reacquaint myself with the truth of her story, since I knew the moviemakers were smooshing things together and reimagining some of her life.  So I re-read it this afternoon, and I loved it all over again.

If you're looking for a good place to start in learning about Harriet Tubman's life, or if you want your kids to know more about her, this is the book for you.  It's awesome.  It touches on the evils of slavery in ways that kids can understand, it shows Harriet's faith in God and her indomitable drive to be free.  And it gives you a great sense of how she wanted freedom for her people so much, she was willing to risk recapture and even death to help as many as she could to reach freedom too.

This is written like a story or novel, not a dry recitation of facts, which makes it very readable and enjoyable.  I loved it as a kid, and I love it now.

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: PG for a couple mild cuss words and depictions of violence such as beatings.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check my library. We finished up w/ our Civil War year last year, but we are still dealing w/ the issues of slavery this year bc we are studying Reconstruction and the like. I wanted to take my kids to see the film; however, after seeing it w/ my husband last weekend, I know my 11-year old won't want to see it bc of the violence. My 12 and 15-year olds will be ok. What I'd like to find is an adult edition of her bio, but this title will be a good starting place. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Ruth! I've got a hold on a couple adult books about her at the library, but she's popular right now, so it'll be a while before I get a chance to look at them. Keep an eye out for a review eventually!

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)