Thursday, July 26, 2018

"A Cry from the Dust" by Carrie Stuart Parks

Inspired by how much I liked When Death Draws Near and Portrait of Vengeance, I decided to go back and read the first couple books in the Gwen Marcey series because my library system has them.  The first book, A Cry from the Dust, came in last week, and I promptly devoured it.  

I like this series so very much!  Gwen Marcey, forensic artist and human lie detector, is a fascinating character with all kinds of foibles, problems, and strengths.  I could see myself being friends with her if she was real and we met up somehow.  And, since characters I want to be friends with is what makes me love books... yeah, it's not a surprise I'm enjoying these.

In this book, Gwen Marcey loses the job she was hoping would lead to a permanent position.  Her husband recently divorced her, after her battle with breast cancer left her flat-chested and bald, and she needs steady work to make ends meet.  Her teenage daughter resents both her parents over the divorce and acts out as a result.  

Into this personal maelstrom comes a chance to work with the FBI to catch domestic terrorists linked to a fringe Mormon leader who is trying to seize more power.  Gwen jumps at the opportunity, but winds up in mortal danger.  Lots of exciting stuff happens as a result :-)

If you enjoy books or TV shows about forensic crime investigations, you'll probably like these.  I especially like that these don't splash around a lot in the kinds of icky details some of those glory in.

(Yeah, I'm a Bookstagrammer.)

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It:  PG-13 for non-graphic discussions of pregnancy and polygamy, characters in mortal danger, discussions of historical massacres, and suspenseful events.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, and I know Gwen would make friends with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Carrie! Thanks so much for stopping by! Gwen and I share an appreciation for frozen pizza and dogs, so I think we could build a friendship on those, right? ;-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Skye, it is! I need to get book 2 from the library this summer yet, and then I'll have read the whole series.

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)