Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday: It's Been a Long, Long Time

This week's TTT topic, as set forth by That Artsy Reader Girl, is: Top Ten Books That Have Been on my To-Read List the Longest.


I got a little spiral-bound book about the time I graduated from college that I used to keep track of all the books I wanted to read.  Before that, I'd had my list on scraps of paper and in my head, but that was the first time I jotted them down in one spot.  That book looked just like this one:

(Thank you, Pinterest)

I still have that book, being a good little pack-rat, so here are the first ten books in it that I have not yet read:

Death Comes to the Archbishop 
by Willa Cather

From Here to Eternity
by James Jones

Plainsong
by Kent Haruf

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Private Investigating
by Steve Brown

Never Accept Candy from Strangers Unless They Let You Ride in Their Car
by Lawrence Russell

Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell
by Susanna Clarke

Shakespeare Well-Versed
by James Muirden

The Scarlet Pimpernel 
by Baroness Orczy

Anna Karenina
by Leo Tolstoy

Hamlet's Perfection 
by William Kerrigan

I still have hopes of reading all of these some day!  Especially Death Comes to the Archbishop and The Scarlet Pimpernel -- I even own copies of those, so really hoping to get to them sooner rather than later.

That's it for this edition of Top Ten Tuesday.  Tell me, have you read any of these?  Are any of them on your own TBR list?  Did you do a TTT post this week? 

9 comments:

  1. Ooh! I’ve heard so many good things about Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell! I hope you get to and enjoy all of these books soon! ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only one I have read is The Scarlet Pimpernel. Which I feel like you would really enjoy. Lots of swashbuckling adventures and rescues in the nick of time. I think I'm talking myself into reading it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, it definitely sounds like something I will like! I've seen a couple movie versions and really enjoyed them.

      Delete
  3. I have lots of classics on my virtual list but I haven't placed them on Goodreads until recently. Archbishop is one of those books. Good luck chiseling away on your list. My TTT TBR list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, I have lists in 4 places right now, and I need to merge them into one again. There was a time when I had all the books I want to read listed here on my blog, but I know I've added dozens of books to my Goodreads list, my library-website to-read list, and my Amazon wish list that aren't here anymore. Should sit down and update the list here one of these days!

      I enjoyed your TTT list :-) Hope you can get to True Grit soon! I re-read it last year with my niece for the high school lit class I teach her, and we both had such fun with it.

      Delete
  4. I have hundreds on books on my TBR lists; I have them all divided up on my library site into categories. Plus I have whole stack of them from the library waiting for me. And I don't know if I will like them. I guess I might still do the tag.

    I've read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel and The Scarlet Pimpernel. After you read the latter you should read The Elusive Pimpernel and then El Dorado. I thought those plots increased in interest in that order. And the watch if you haven't already the 1980's Scarlet Pimpernel with Anthony Andrews (that film combines the first book with El Dorado).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Livia, yeah... like I just said in reply to Anne Bennett, I have TBR lists in 4 different places. The longest is probably the one here on my blog, but I have ooooodles elsewhere too that aren't here. Need to combine them sometime, lol.

      I would like to read all the Scarlet Pimpernel books, yes! I really liked the Anthony Andrews/Ian McKellen/Jane Seymour movie version. Very fun.

      Delete
  5. Death Comes for the Archbishop is a HUGE favorite of mine. Willa Cather was a genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, I WILL get to that one eventually! Maybe this year, we'll see.

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)