Wednesday, June 28, 2017

"If I Run" by Terri Blackstock

How is it I've never even heard of Terri Blackstock before?  Oh my word!  This book is a freight train barreling into the night.  I know there's a sequel coming, and I am definitely going to read it.

Casey Cox's good friend has just been murdered, and she's being framed for it.  Doesn't help that she's the one who discovered the body, and her DNA is all over the crime scene.  She runs, convinced that she'll either go to jail for a murder she didn't commit or else get killed herself.

Dylan Roberts is a recently discharged soldier battling PTSD from his days in the Middle East.  He's also a childhood friend of the dead man, and he gets hired by the grieving parents to find Casey and bring her to justice.

Then there's Laura Daly, a girl who disappeared two years ago, when she was only fourteen.  Casey stumbles on evidence that could lead to Laura's discovery and rescue, but only if Casey risks being found herself.

This book literally had my heart pounding during the last few chapters.  It's been a long time since I read a book that did that.  If you're into suspenseful mysteries that don't wrap up entirely neatly by the end, but lead to future books, definitely read this!

Particularly Good Bits:

Doubts crest like vultures in my mind, circling my theories, swooping to feed on them.  They make me second-guess my competence, my objectivity, my skills (p. 233).

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It:  PG-13 for violence and suspenseful situations, references to alcohol, and spousal abuse.  No bad language, no racy scenes, but there is an unwed mother involved.

Note:  I received a copy of this book from the publisher for me to read while judging the INSPY awards.  In no way did I agree to review this book in exchange.  These are my honest opinions.

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading the following books in this series too! Should all be great reads (especially given the story inside these pages). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered a copy of the second book already, and should have it in a few days! Can't wait to dive in.

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)