The party is afoot! I'm so glad you could join me in celebrating one of my favorite characters of all time. Just a couple of instructions on how this works, so settle into your armchair with your pipe or cup of tea or brandy or whatever you're celebrating with. Then, copy The Good Old Index of Questions onto your blog (or put them in a note set to "Public" in Facebook if you don't blog) and answer them there -- and please include a link back here somewhere in your post! Then come back here and add a link to your post to the link-up widget. And then enter the giveaway! How absurdly simple, right?
EDIT: There is no time limit on this party! The giveaway ends Jan 13, but you can join the party and link-up any time.
The Good Old Index of Questions
1. When and how did you first encounter Sherlock Holmes?
2. Please share a fact or two about yourself related to Holmes. (You've read the whole canon, you've been to Baker Street, you're an official BSI member, etc.)
3. What are three of your favorite Holmes adventures?
4. What draws you to the Sherlock Holmes stories?
5. If you were going to give Sherlock Holmes a birthday present, what would it be?
6. If you could climb into a Holmes story and replace any one character for a day, who would you like to be?
7. Please share some of your favorite Holmes-related quotes!
I am giving away three brand-new books!
- In the Company of Sherlock Holmes: Stories Inspired by the Holmes Canon edited by Laurie R. King and Leslie S. Klinger. This is a hardcover copy of the book, which was published just before Christmas, and contains stories by authors like Cornelia Funke, Jeffery Deaver, Michael Connelly, and Harlan Ellison. I have not finished reading my own copy, so I can't tell you what the content level is, but you can read here what I thought of its predecessor, A Study in Sherlock. Please note that these are inspired by the canon, so while some stories include the characters of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, some are about characters who have been influenced by the canon stories and so on.
- The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Paperback, with an afterword by Anne Perry.
- Sherlock Holmes: The Essential Mysteries in One Sitting by Jennifer Kasius. This is a tiny hardcover book with recaps of twelve famous canon stories and illustrations, including many by Sidney Paget. It also has little essays on "The Life of Sherlock Holmes" and "Essential Characters in the World of Sherlock Holmes." Great fun for new and long-time fans of Holmes alike!
This giveaway is open world-wide. I will choose the winners one week from today, which is Tuesday, January 13, 2015. I will then email the winners at the address provided to the widget, and they will have one week to reply with their mailing address. If a winner does not reply by Tuesday, January 20th, I will disqualify them and pick a new winner.
PLEASE make sure your information for the giveaway widgets includes your current email address so that if you win a prize, you'll get my email informing you that you won!
a Rafflecopter giveaway