Saturday, July 12, 2014

"Vanishing Girl" by Shane Peacock

Of the three "Boy Sherlock Holmes" books I've read so far, this has by far the weakest mystery.  I'd figured out most of it before I was a quarter of the way through.  Since this is a YA book, I'm going to let that slide and continue reading the series.  But the first two were so strong that I do admit I'm disappointed by this one.

Still, there's a lot of good character development.  Sherlock begins the book fame-seeking and vengeful against Inspector Lestrade Sr., and for much of it, I couldn't help but wonder, "Is this glory-hunting boy really supposed to grow up into the Sherlock Holmes who frequently lets Scotland Yard have the credit for a mystery's solution?  Who occasionally requests his name be kept out of reports?"  But by the end, he had matured and realized that, for him, the thrill of discovery is more reward than public recognition.

So while I didn't love this book, I do still recommend the series so far.

Particularly Good Bits:

Life must either be filled with challenges and thrills or... he doesn't want to participate at all (p. 117).

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It:  PG for threatened violence and danger.

This is my tenth book read and reviewed for the I Love Library Books challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)