Wednesday, February 27, 2013

"And be a Villain" by Rex Stout

It wasn't until I was about half through that I realized I'd read And be a Villain once before.  It seemed a bit familiar, but a lot of Nero Wolfe books seem familiar because I've seen the TV show versions of a bunch of them, and I can't always remember just which books they used for the show.  But nope, I'd read this one a few years ago.  Fortunately, a Nero Wolfe mystery is always worth re-reading!

And be a Villain concerns the murder of a guest on a radio talk show, right when the show was airing live.  It's people with Stout's usual vibrant guest characters, and as always, Wolfe is brilliant, Archie is quippy, Inspector Cramer is cranky, and I have absolutely no idea who the murderer is until Wolfe does his big reveal.  

Whenever I want a quick pick-me-up, a Nero Wolfe mystery is a sure thing, and I don't need Archie to give me odds on it to know I'll enjoy it.

Particularly Good Bits:  On such occasions he always insisted that a red wine and a chilled white wine must be among those present.  Usually they had no takers, but this time there were two, Miss Koppel and Traub, who went for the Montrachet; and, being strongly in favor of the way its taste insists on sneaking all over the inside of your head, I helped out with it.

"Archie doesn't like him, and I have learned that it is always quite possible that anyone he doesn't like may be a murderer."

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate it:  PG because it contains some swearing and revolves around murder, but nothing is graphic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)