Wednesday, November 15, 2023

"Murder at the Royal Botanic Gardens" by Andrea Penrose

Another wonderful entry into what is fast becoming a favorite mystery series for me!  These Wrexford and Sloane Historical Mysteries are absolutely delightful.  So far, not a single one has disappointed me.  In an age when so many mainstream books are better suited to the recycling bin than my bookshelf, Andrea Penrose is a beacon of hope for me.  These books are fun, intelligent, character-oriented mysteries that provide plenty of sparkage between the main characters, but never slide into smut.  At least, not so far!  I am so happy I can wholeheartedly recommend these to my friends who also love mysteries and historical fiction.

In Murder at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Wrex and Charlotte find their friends and acquaintances slowly drawn into a net of deceit, murder, and greed, and catching up with the bad guys behind the mayhem takes the combined force not only of their own sleuthing talents, but the varied talents of all their friends, too.  All that, while also trying to plan their wedding!

Penrose likes to weave elements of actual scientific history into the plots of this series, and I always learn something from these books!  This one has lots of interesting things about botany and medicine in it.

Particularly Good Bits:

Murder's grim shadow, she reminded herself, could smother every spark of light if one wasn't careful.  Evil must not be allowed to extinguish all that was good in the world (p. 218).

His sense of humor was yet another thing she loved about him.  Without laughter to counter the injustices and absurdities of the world, life could so easily crush one's spirit (p. 237).

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: PG-13 for murder, violence, poison, and some very mild innuendos.

2 comments:

  1. I still haven't got chance to explore this series. It sounds more and more appealing by your reviews, though :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fanda, I hope you get a chance to try it soon because it is delightful!

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)