Monday, March 13, 2023

"Swamp Water" by Vereen Bell

My goodness, what a change of pace this book was!  It's a coming-of-age story set in and around the Okefenokee Swamp in Georgia.  It's also a musing on the way people treat each other.  And a fairly deep look at stubbornness and how that character trait can be used for good or for bad.  

Nearly-grown Ben Ragan chases his dog Trouble into the swamp even though his father has forbidden Ben to ever go in there.  Ben encounters a lot of scary things in the swamp, his journey turning kind of mythical for quite a while.  He's eventually captured by Tom Keefer, a fugitive who's wanted for killing his sister's husband (which he definitely did) and stealing a lot of hogs (which he also definitely did).  And yet, Tom Keefer is a more morally upright man than most of the people Ben has known outside the swamp.

Ben and Tom start trapping furs in the swamp together, which earns Ben enough of a living that he can move out of his father's cabin and start courting first one young woman, then another.  A jealous woman spills a secret that puts not only the fur-trapping enterprise in jeopardy, but Tom Keefer's life too.  That leads to a really thrilling manhunt at the end.

I've seen the 1941 movie version of Swamp Water two or three times -- it stars Dana Andrews as Ben and Walter Brennan as Tom, but it diverges from the simplicity of the book's plot, as I recall.  I need to see the movie again because it's probably been ten years since I last watched it, and I don't remember it well enough to compare the two.  I just know I really like the movie, and I really like the book.

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: PG-13 for some very mild innuendo, a plot line that involves a man trying to entice a married woman away from her husband, and quite a bit of danger and peril to people and dog, including a near-drowning inflicted on one man by an angry mob.  Might have been some mild cussing too, but I can't recall now, as I read this book about a week ago.


This is my 10th book read for my fourth Classics Club list and my 12th book read from my TBR shelves for #TheUnreadShelfProject2023.

6 comments:

  1. "a fugitive who's wanted for killing his sister's husband (which he definitely did) and stealing a lot of hogs (which he also definitely did)" <<< This made me laugh WAY too hard.

    Seriously, though, sounds like a pretty cool adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, awww, I'm glad that tickled you :-D

      It's definitely a neat book!

      Delete
  2. If I hadn't packed my copy, I might have done a quick re-read of this. Then a re-watch of the movie, cuz I'm overdue for some young Dana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DKoren, yeah, between this and Murder Most Foul, I really have been needing me some Young Dana.

      Delete
  3. It's me... I don't know why Blogger now defaults to "anonymous" for comments. It completely ignores that I'm logged in and drives me crazy. Grrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DKoren, maybe it is your browser or something? Mine hasn't done that to me.

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)