Sunday, June 28, 2020

"Chronicles of Avonlea" by L.M. Montgomery

How is it that I never read this book before?  Why, when I was first introduced to Anne of Green Gables as a child, didn't anyone say, "By the way, there are some books of short stories that have Anne Shirley and other characters in them too."  WHY?

Anyway.  I heartily enjoyed this sweet book.  It was just the antidote I needed when I was in the middle of The Hunchback of Notre Dame and getting somewhat depressed by it.  This book was like a balm.  I kind of wish I hadn't inhaled it in basically one afternoon, because I like to savor things, but the fact that I did that tells you just how much I needed it.

I don't think I have a favorite story in this.  I enjoyed them all -- some more than others, of course, but all of them were delightful.  I look forward to revisiting them.  There's a definite theme of "second chances" running through them.  Second chances at love, at a family, at happiness.  There are a lot of middle-aged people finding love for the first time or having love return to them after all hope of it had been lost.  I really liked that.

Particularly Good Bits:

He had learned the rare secret that you must take happiness when you find it -- that there is no use in marking the place and coming back to it at a more convenient season, because it will not be there then (p. 95-96).

The more I saw of men, the more I liked cats (p. 122).

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: G for good, wholesome, sweet, and lovely.



This is my 49th book read and reviewed for my second go-'round with the Classics Club!  One more book, and I'll have finished my second list of 50!!!

This is also my 23rd book read for #TheUnreadShelfProject2020.

10 comments:

  1. Hey, good for you w/ you second Classics Club! Anyway, I haven't read ANY of these, BUT I will one of these days - beginning with Anne of Green Gables, which I know I will love, too.
    Also, haven't read Hunchback, yet, but it's on my unread shelf. I keep putting it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, I actually finished book 50 today, so I'll review it tomorrow! Wahoo!

      Yes, being with Anne of Green Gables. It's delicious and will soothe and revive you.

      You'll see my fuller thoughts on Hunchback tomorrow, but for tonight I'll say... don't be in a big hurry.

      Delete
  2. Wait, HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS BOOK? I read ALL of the Anne books, all the way to Rilla, but I've never read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha, there's also More Chronicles of Avonlea :-o It's not exactly an Anne book, as Anne is only in a couple stories and gets mentioned in a few others, but other people from her world are in it, like William Blair who owns the store in Carmody, Rachel Lynde gets mentioned, the Reverend Allan is in one, things like that. It all takes place on PEI in the general vicinity of Avonlea :-)

      Delete
  3. Aaaaaaahhhhhp well I need to read this. I've been revisiting my precious Anne books and loving every minute in Avonlea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan, I think this one would be perfect to read before Anne of Windy Poplars, as that seems to be about when it takes place, don't you think?

      I reread all the Anne books a few years ago and it was so lovely :-)

      Delete
  4. I've never read Chronicles of Avonlea either. I'm glad you liked it so much!

    And that men and cats quote is too funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lydia, it's a really charming collection! I am very much looking forward to reading Further Chronicles of Avonlea now.

      It is, isn't it? :-D

      Delete
  5. I've read this one! You do know there is another also? "Further Chronicles of Avonlea"! It's just as good, if I recall correctly. (It's been awhile since I read it.) Anything L.M. Montgomery is happy and lovely and sweet in my opinion. :D (Although I haven't read ALL her works!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabby, YES! I have the other one too, and hope/plan to read it later this year. I'm so excited to hear it's similarly enjoyable! I love LMM's books so much. They are my happy place. I'm loving reading more and more of them -- still have quite a few to go.

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)