Friday, October 12, 2018

"The Bronte Sisters: The Brief Lives of Charlotte, Emily, and Anne" by Catherine Reef

I've wanted to know more about the real lives of the Brontës ever since I read Becoming Jane Eyre a few years ago.  I wanted something less sensationalized, more truthful, and that's exactly what The Brontë Sisters gave me.  I found this in the junior non-fiction section at my library, and I think it would be suitable for kids 12 and up, but not for younger readers.  It does discuss things like alcohol abuse and opium addiction, and it touches (non-graphically) on some more mature subjects that the sisters discussed in their books which shocked some readers of their day.

If you want to know more about these three remarkable authors, this is definitely a good place to start.

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: a high PG.  No bad language, but the subject matter is not always appropriate for (or interesting to) children.

4 comments:

  1. I found your blog through A Great Book Study. I like reading blogs about classic lit by fellow Christians. I also blog (https:sharonhenning.blogspot.com if you'd like to visit.)

    I read a biography of the Brontes called "The Bewitched Parsonage" by Nathanial Hathwaite. It was pretty good, but I would like to read this one also.

    Also, I am interested in your version of Red Riding Hood. Ruth's review intrigued me. I hope that you are successful in your publishing endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sharon! Nice to "meet" you :-) I'll check out your blog soon!

      I haven't heard of The Bewitched Parsonage -- thanks for the recc! I'll see if my library has it.

      Hope you like Cloaked if you get a chance to read it! I'm building an audience and encountering readers like you thanks to my books, so I call that success :-)

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)