Friday, November 7, 2014

Baskervilles Read-Along: Extract from the Diary of Dr. Watson (Ch. 10)

I like that Watson decides since he is Holmes' agent in Dartmoor, he can't listen to what he views as superstitious nonsense about spectral hounds.  Doesn't rely on his own judgement, but on Holmes'.  It's very sweet and loyal of him.

I'd totally forgotten that Dr. Mortimer's little spaniel disappeared :-(  Poor Dr. Mortimer!  Poor spaniel.

This chapter feels a little slow, compared to the last -- mostly pulling together some story threads and revealing that there's definitely a mysterious, unknown man lurking on the moor.  Watson says, "If I could lay my hands upon that man, then at last we might find ourselves at the end of all our difficulties" (p. 648).  The worthy doctor never spoke a truer word!

Favorite Lines:  I have not lived for years with Sherlock Holmes for nothing (p. 652).

Possible Discussion Question:  Watson says, "if I have one quality upon earth it is common sense" (p. 647).  Do you agree?

4 comments:

  1. Hmm, the question about Dr. Watson and common sense is a toughie.

    On the one hand, he's impulsive and jumps easily to conclusions. He can be swayed pretty easily by what he perceives as a woman in trouble.

    On the other hand he is a great observer of people, as I think you noted in a previous post. He may not catch the minute details but he's able to paint a broad picture. And when he slows down and thinks and follows Holmes' method, he seems to do better, even if his conclusions are still off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pretty much agree. Watson is not fanciful, but grounded. I think that might be why he's not all that great at drawing conclusions from evidence -- he's not given to imagining things, so he has trouble coming up with possible theories.

      Delete
  2. I would agree that Dr. Watson has common sense. He's very practical, and he doesn't waste a lot of time speculating, but gets right to doing. Which you can see quite well in this story. I think that's why he and Holmes work well together: Holmes thinks and speculates and figures, and Watson does. Erm--does that make sense?

    Your favorite line was mine, too. I giggled because I could so see Martin Freeman's Watson's exasperated face saying that line. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, makes sense.

      And yes, it does rather sound like his version of John, doesn't it?

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)