Monday, November 18, 2013

My Bookshelves

Emily over at Classics and Beyond participated in a really fun link-up hosted by a blog called Modern Mrs. Darcy.  Basically, it's time to show off our bookshelves and talk a little about where and how we store, organize, and curate our book collections.  So here are mine.

I keep a lot of my books in a room of our house we call the library.  It contains a love seat, a piano, and four-and-a-half book cases.  




We also have two book cases in our dining room, though the top shelf on each doesn't have books on it.  This is where I teach my kids, so there are a bunch of school books and random supplies and general clutter here.  Five of these shelves are full of my husband's books.


And there are three kid-sized cases in the living room.  


And I have twelve boxes of books in the basement with no homes yet.  I may have too many books.  Nah.

Here are close-ups of some of the more interesting shelves. 

Yeah, these are almost all about Hamlet.  And no, I haven't read all of them.  I intend to, but haven't had the chance yet.


 These are all Shakespeare, books about writing, and poetry.


These all have to do with movies and TV shows.  There are some biographies and autobiographies, books about specific shows, general Hollywood stuff.


Here's my fiction collection.  It's mostly organized alphabetically by author's last name, and then multiple books by the same author are alphabetical by title.  Unless there's a series, then the series is in order.  If I have a bunch of books about an author or character, those come after the originals.  So all my Jane Austen-involved books are together, my Sherlock Holmes, etc. 





And the bottom shelf and half the shelf above are all books I haven't read yet, starting after the Wolverine collections.  Well, I've actually read the Elsie Dinsmore books, but I haven't gotten around to toting them downstairs to put in the boxes of young-adult books I have no room for right now.


And here are my history books.  The top shelf is all WWII and the bottom is the rest of history, plus a few random books that don't have another home yet.


I keep my cookbooks in the dining room too, on a little corner shelf that was my great-grandfather's.  I didn't actually realize it was that old until recently, so now I'm treating it a little better than I used to, hee.  Anyway, my cookbooks are on one shelf, and then the bottom shelf is the middle-grade fiction my son getting into.



So that's pretty much all my bookshelves.  I'm glad I got to participate in this link-up, as I love to talk about books!  :-D

8 comments:

  1. Nice! A large collection of books is something to be proud of...in my opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree, but every time we move, my husband bemoans my love of owning books.

      Delete
  2. I love that you have a library! With a chair and a piano--it sounds divine.

    If I got to browse these in person I would be perusing your books about writing. I love to see what writing books people choose as their favorites, and discover new titles.

    Thanks for sharing your shelves with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that I have a library too! After ten years of living in tiny apartments, we bought a house and it has a library. I'm ecstatic.

      If you're curious, my favorite books about writing are: How to Write a Damn Good Novel, How to Write a Damn Good Mystery, and The Key: How to Write Damn Good Fiction Using the Power of Myth by James N. Frey; On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King, and The Abracadabra Kid by Sid Fleischman. Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon is a lot of fun too.

      Delete
  3. Wow! What a collection. I would love to have one room dedicated to just books.
    Ruth @ An Experiment With The Well-Educated Mind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I get probably 4/5 of my books from thrift stores, library book sales, and used book stores, which helps with the whole cost issue, lol. And once a year or so, I go through my shelves, pull out books I don't truly love, and donate them to the library. So I could have a lot more if I didn't do that!

      Delete
  4. When I read BEN HUR, I remember being amazed that the chariot scene went on for 100 pages.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)