Monday, December 30, 2013

LOTR Read-Along: Farewell to Lorien (FOTR Ch. 20)

At the beginning of this chapter, they decide to leave.  It takes them eleven pages in my copy to actually do so.  Lothlorien must be a very charming place indeed!

I always feel so very sad for Sam here, because he missed out on learning how the Elves make rope.  A completely missed opportunity, one he's obviously not going to have again, and one he didn't even have the chance of either accepting or rejecting.  It's just, "Oh, you like making rope?  Too bad we didn't know."  Makes me kind of depressed on his behalf.

Random thing that makes me happy:  Boromir says, "I have myself been at whiles in Rohan" (p. 365).  I love that he's been hanging out there -- he's such a staunch defender of the Rohirrim too, whenever anyone starts in on the whole "I think the Rohirrim have been sending horses to Sauron" nonsense.  See, Boromir is my most beloved character in these books, but I love Rohan more than the other cultures.  Even above the Shire, for the most part.  So I'm very pleased that my favorite character has spent lots of time where I myself would like to be.  In fact, he borrowed a horse from the Rohirrim, possibly the one he says here that he lost when he forded the Greyflood.  He doesn't say he borrowed a horse, but Eomer later mentions that they loaned him one, and that it returned riderless (p. 423).

And so everyone has one last Elvish feast, gets presents, and heads off down the river.  Back on track, after yet another lengthy stay with new friends.

Favorite Lines:

"Maybe the paths that you each shall tread are already laid before your feet, though you do not see them" (p. 359).

"...we put the thought of all that we love into all that we make" (p. 361).

"Memory is not what the heart desires.  That is only a mirror, be it clear as Kheled-zaram" (p. 369).

Possible Discussion Question:  

Are these discussion questions of any real use, or should I just incorporate them into my review?

8 comments:

  1. I cry a lot in this chapter. Galadriel presenting her gifts gets me every single time, particularly Gimil and his request and response.

    I also love Aragorn's indecisiveness, which is brought out yet again in this chapter. All part of his arc, but very fascinating, really. I also always forget that Arwen is Galadriel's granddaughter until this chapter (or possibly the last... getting confused! My notes are a bit cryptic).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I get annoyed that they won't just get a move on already! Such different reactions to Lothlorien in particular, and the Elves in general.

      Yes, Aragorn is so cool and human in his dithering, isn't he? There's a bit coming up that I always remember, where he says all his choices have gone astray or something to that effect, and it makes me really love him. Maybe that's why I like him so much more in the books -- he's not all perfect and sort of looking down from on high. He's not that way as much in the FOTR movie, but he gets kind of, I don't know, unreachable in TTT and ROTK the movies, but not in the books.

      And yeah, it's here that it says Arwen is Galadriel's granddaughter.

      Delete
    2. We sooooo have to watch the movies together when done reading, cuz I don't see the things you do and am really curious to have you point out stuff that bothers you. Like Aragorn stuff, who seems the same to me in all the movies, and I don't see him as unreachable, etc., We must investigate! (Such a hardship...: -D )

      Delete
    3. YES! We must force ourselves to watch them together.

      Delete
  2. Oh, and I love your discussion questions. Don't stop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay! I didn't really have any questions for this chapter, mostly because I actually finished reading it like 5 days ago and never had time to write about it. Goes much better when I write about it right away. Now that my busy holiday stuff is past, I should be getting back to more frequent posts, with not so much time between reading and writing.

      Delete
  3. I have not read The Lord of the Rings, yet, but my younger kids loved The Hobbit and are asking me to read LOTR. I am apprehensive about doing so b/c my older two tell me it is not going to be easy for them to sit through. So, I'm waiting.

    We did see The Desolation of Smaug yesterday at the movies, and the kids loved it. They cannot wait for part III.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How old are your younger kids? Would you consider letting them watch the movies first? They're a bit more intense and violent than the Hobbit movies, because the books are more intense and violent too.

      LOTR is very long, and parts of it drag a little, but not much. It's actually broken into six books, about 12 chapters each, so you could read one, then something else, then the next, then something else.

      I think I will wait to read them to my kids until the youngest is 11 or 12. If I can stand to hold off for 9 or 10 more years!!!

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)