Tuesday, September 19, 2017

How Well Do You Know the Shire?

Time for our first party game!  The rules are simple:  put your guesses in a comment.  I've enabled comment moderation, and I won't publish people's guesses until after I've revealed the answers on Saturday.




1. The Brandywine River separates the Shire from ____________.

a. Buckland
b. Breeland
c. Mirkwood
d. Rohan


2.  The Shire is divided into four ______________.

a. Districts
b. Farthings
c. Quartos
d. Counties


3.  Bilbo Baggins (and later his cousin Frodo) lives in a hobbit hole called _______________.

a. Bagshot Row
b. Buckleberry Hole
c. Bottomless Barrow
d. Bag End


4.  In The Fellowship of the Ring, Frodo Baggins sells his home and moves to a house called _______________.

a. Applethwait
b. Baggerlee
c. Crickhollow
d. Delft


5.  Bilbo Baggins lives in the village of ______________.

a. Hobbiton
b. Bree
c. Michel Delving
d. Bywater


6.  The hobbits have a museum called a "mathom house" in the town of _________________.

a. Hobbiton
b. Bree
c. Michel Delving
d. Bywater


7. The only brew for the brave and true comes from the ________________.

a. Sleeping Owl 
b. Green Dragon 
c. Prancing Pony
d. Ivy Bush


8. Peace in the Shire was traditionally kept by a voluntary group known as the _______________.

a. Shirriffs
b. Archers
c. Crows
d. Bandylegs


9.  The two main crossing points of the Brandywine River are the Brandywine Bridge and _____________.

a. Withywindle Ford
b. Longbottom Crossing
c. Bucklebury Ferry
d. Oldbrook Bridge


10.  Which of these is NOT a place in the Shire?

a. Willowbottom
b. Undertowers
c. Cobas Haven
d. Little Delving


Good luck!  



16 comments:

  1. *sucks in breath* Well, here's is my attempt and this....

    1. a
    2. b
    3. d
    4. c
    5. a
    6. c
    7. b
    8. a
    9. c
    10. c

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fun. I think it's
    1. A
    2. B
    3. D
    4. C
    5. A
    6. D
    7. B
    8. A
    9. C
    10. A

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really do not know the Shire well at all, but I'll try.
    1. A
    2. B
    3. D
    4. A?
    5. A
    6. C
    7. C?
    8. A
    9. B?
    10. B
    Thank you so much for the game, Hamlette!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1.b
    2. b
    3. d
    4. b--that's a stumper!
    5. a
    6. c
    7. b
    8. a
    9. c
    10. c?

    You came up with some hard questions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Good luck", you say? No kidding. Haha. But really, you have a talent for clever games.
    Quick warning, I was pretending to make educated guesses on many of these when really I think I was just going with the answers that sounded familiar.

    1. A Buckland
    2. B Farthings
    3. D Bag End
    4. C Crickhollow
    5. A Hobbiton
    6. D Bywater
    7. B Green Dragon
    8. And I'm not even going to guess because I think I'd get it monstrously wrong!
    9. C Buckleberry Ferry
    10. B Undertower

    Thanks, Hamlette!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOH how fun!! I'm actually not very knowledgeable about the LotR books (as of yet, I've only read the first one) so we'll see how this goes. ;)

    1. a) Buckland (yes, fairly certain this is right)
    2. b) Farthings (this just sounds British to me? so I'm thinking it's right?)
    3. d) Bag End (I KNOW THIS ONE *smiles*)
    4. c) Crickhollow (I think I actually remember this one from the book)
    5. a) Hobbiton (*happy sigh*)
    6. c) Michel Delving (I thiiiiiink this is it--I DO remember loving the mathom house)
    7. b) Green Dragon (*joins Merry and Pippin in singing*)
    8. a) Shirriffs (oh yes, the sheriff lookalike word...I seem to recall this)
    9. c) Bucklebury Ferry (why, of course! How else would they escape those dreadful Ringwraiths?)
    10. c) Cobas Haven (totally sure about this one...totally *laughs uncertainly*)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1.a
    2.d
    3.d
    4.a
    5.a
    6.a
    7.b
    8.a
    9.c
    10.a

    Fun! :D (I totally had to guess on the last one, haha.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. a. Buckland
    2. no idea.
    3. d. Bag End. Bagshot Row is the street name.
    4. c. Crickhollow?
    5. a. Hobbiton
    6. d. Bywater?
    7. b. Green Dragon.
    8. a. Shirrifs.
    9 & 10. No idea.

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that was HARD. =D These are my guesses, and (as will be proven) I didn't look anything up...

    1. a
    2. b
    3. d
    4. c
    5. a
    6. d
    7. b
    8. a
    9. c
    10. b

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. a
    2. b
    3. d
    4. c
    5. a
    6. c
    7. b
    8. a
    9. c
    10. c

    ReplyDelete
  11. *blinks* Oh, dear. I feel like I should be more confident on these. But I shall do my best!

    1. Aahhhh . . . I'm pretty sure it's either a or b, so I guess I'll go with a ?
    2. b ??
    3. d
    4. c
    5. a
    6. b ??
    7. THE ONLY BREW FOR THE BRAVE AND TRUUUUUUUEEEE COMES FROM THE GREEN DRAGON! (so b ;))
    8. a
    9. c
    10. Oh, gosh, I have no idea . . . perhaps c ?? I have a feeling that's not right, though . . .

    Anyway, I enjoyed tis game, even if I didn't do so well. ;-P Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, this could be embarrassing, but I'll give it a try. :P (No judgement, okay? ;))

    1. a.
    2. b.
    3. d.
    4. oohhh... it's either a or c... I'll go c?
    5. a.
    6. I don't know... d?
    7. GREEN DRAGON! b.
    8. a.
    9. BUCKLEBERRY FERRY. (I'll never say it as cutely as Merry dose. :P) c.
    10. Oh my gosh... is this for 10/10 die hard fans?! I don't remember. :P b.

    Let's see how I go... *crosses fingers*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Idk how well I will do at this one, but here goes:

    1. a. Buckland
    2. b. Farthings
    3. d. Bag End
    4. ?
    5. a. Hobbiton
    6. d. Bywater ?
    7. b. Green Dragon!
    8. d. Bandylegs?
    9. c. Bucklebury Ferry
    10. b. Undertowers?

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1. b
    2. b
    3. d
    4. b
    5. a
    6. c
    7. b
    8. a
    9. a
    10. e

    ~ Savannah | Scattered Scribblings

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read the answers yet so I figured I was still able to test my knowledge. Better late than never, right?

    1.b
    2.b
    3.d
    4.c
    5.a
    6.c (if I get this one wrong, I'm okay)
    7.b
    8.a
    9.c?
    10.c(if I get this wrong too, I won't feel so bad)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)